Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pausing to Remember


 Before beginning my work day today, an email reminder of September 11 appeared in my inbox.  One of my former students (and now a friend) blogs regularly, and since I subscribe to her blog, I was alerted of her new post.   She took some time this morning to remember her 7th grade English class on September 11th, 2001 and she asked her readers what they remember from that day. I wonder if any of my students from that year remember English class that day?  (It was three years after 9/11 before I became Amanda's English teacher.)

A few hours after reading Amanda's post, I received a text message from my husband.

That day I was with my high school English students in Cherokee, North Carolina; we spent the day talking about the unfolding events, trying to understand what was happening.  We contemplated life, death, love, family, and friends.  In the midst of being a teacher and talking with teenagers, I was torn with thoughts of my 7-month old baby boy at home with my husband.  I remember wondering what kind of world he would be growing up in.
Twelve years later I know how fortunate we are for our peaceful life free from daily violence and torment.  I have a lovely life with my husband, 12 year old son, 10 year old son, and dog in Lexington, Kentucky, USA. 

12 y/o son looking at 9/11 remembrance sculpture University of Kentucky Art Museum